Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
This technique that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress, that are the results of disturbing life experience.
Every individual has an inherent information processing system that naturally reorganizes disturbing life events to an adaptive resolution. At times this information processing system is sometimes disrupted by life experiences, causing those experiences to be inadequately processed.
When a trauma or event occurs it seems to get locked in the nervous system with the original picture, sounds, thoughts and feelings. The eye movement we use in EMDR seems to unlock the nervous system and allows the brain to process the experience. That may be what is happening in REM or dream sleep-the eye movements may help to process the unconscious material. It is important to remember that it is your own brain that will be doing the healing and that you are the one in control.
The treatment brings together your traumatic memories and positive thoughts and beliefs to help reduce the distress stemming from your traumatic event. With these thoughts and images in mind, you will be asked to also pay attention to an outside stimulus such as eye movements or finger tappers guided by the therapist.
Who Does EMDR Help?
You may be interested to know, since the first clinical study of its effectiveness in 1989, EMDR has helped not only people with PTSD but also those with other types of mental health conditions. They include:
- Combat veterans from World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Crime victims, police officers, and firefighters
Mental Health Conditions:
- Panic disorders
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- General Anxiety Disorder
- Depression and other Mood Disorders
- Reactive Attachment Disorder
- Somatoform disorder, Eating disorders
- Performance Anxiety
- Stress reduction
- Sexual and physical abuse
- Body dysmorphic disorders
- Pain disorders
- Grief, traumatic bereavement
- Abuse and neglect
- Accidents, Medical Treatments, Natural Disasters
- Addictions, Dissociative Disorders
- People affected by family, marital and sexual dysfunction
After reprocessing and eliminating all negative feelings, thoughts and visions are resolved, you will be able to handle future events that are similar to target issue.
If you feel you may have been struggling with any of these issues, or maybe you have an issue that is not on the list, just pick up the phone and ask. Or would like to find out more information or have questions for me, please call.
Call to schedule an appointment 239-549-8342